Tony Walsh's 'New Beginnings' is a lovely poem for Year 6s about to head to high school.
1) It could be used to inspire Y6s to write a poem about how they feel about moving on to high school. They things that they are worried about; the things that are hopeful for.
2) You could get the children in your Year 5/6 class to write a similar style poem to children in the infants. A poem expressing wisdom on how to best enjoy the juniors and what to look forward to.
1) Find and copy one word that means 'a part of a building that you can use'. (1 mark)
2) 'If you keep a burningurge to learn' - what does the phrase 'burning urge' mean in this context? (1 mark)
3) Find and copy one word that means 'goal'. (1 mark)
4) Explain why the author chose the title 'New Beginnings'. (1 mark)
5) How does the author feel about high school? Use evidence to support your answer (3 marks)
6) Summarise why the author wrote this poem. (1 mark)
Click here for a link to the poem.