This song offers a few nice writing opportunities. The story discusses a boy who is leaving his hometown; the lyrics describe what he has taken with him and touches upon why he has left. There is enough ambiguity in the reasons for the boy leaving to leave space for children to be creative. Writing could centre around why he left, how he feels about the past and how he feels about the future.
You could write:
- Diary entries
- Narratives with flashbacks (this would work well for changes in tense). This writing could be written in 1st, 2nd or 3rd person.
- A narrative poem
Here are some questions to help organise the children's thinking:
1) Why is the person in the song leaving?
2) What is the place like that they are leaving?
3) What is in their bag?
4) What happened to them?
5) How do they feel about the past?
6) How do they feel about the future?
This song would tie in well with Anti-Bullying activities.
It might be a good idea to point out that most of this song is written in the second person (use of 'You')
Click here for a link to the lyrics.