Submarines by the Lumineers acts as a nice stimulus for writing. The lyrics track the story of a discredited man who believes he has seen danger approaching. However, he becomes frustrated at peoples' failure to take his warnings seriously.
This song could act as the prompt for narrative writing from the point of view of the singer. Who is he? What is his name? What is/was his job? Does he have family, or does he live alone? Where does he live? How did he become so untrusted? What does he do about this?
Questions for Discussion
1) Who do you think the singer is?
2) What do people in 'the town' think of the singer?
3) How do the police react to the singer?
4) Pretend that you are one of the police officers. What would you say to the man? Also, imagine how you would say it.
5) What are the jokes that the policemen made?
6) Choose three words to describe what the people in 'the town' think of the singer.
7) 'In the end it boils down to credibility' - what is the singer thinking when they say this?
8) What are 'the secrets of the sea'?
Click here for a link to the lyrics.